People food that is not safe for your pup


I know it can be tempting to give your doggie some leftovers or to share your food with them (especially if they are always begging for food like mine), but what we consider to be tasty and perhaps even nutritious may be extremely dangerous for our dogs. 

Use this list as a guide to keep your doggie from eating human foods that are harmful to their health and possibly fatal.


Who doesn't love chocolate, right? Despite there being many health benefits associated with chocolate for humans, dogs and chocolate is a big no-no!

Due to a stimulant called theobromine, when eaten by a dog, chocolate can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures, and death.  So think again next time you leave a Kit Kat or two laying around! 



Can dogs eat grapes, you ask?  While it's currently unknown what compounds are in this tasty fruit that cause toxicity in dogs, the results of consumption can be pretty harmful.

Grapes and raisins can cause rapid kidney failure. While it varies between dogs, symptoms may not show up in some. Besides kidney failure, dogs can also develop vomiting or diarrhea, as well as a lethargic state. Dogs will also develop dehydration and lack of appetite. Death from kidney failure may occur within three to four days.




While these veggies and herbs go with pretty much anything savory, they can do more than just make your dog cry. Onions are a particularly toxic food for dogs and can cause stomach and gut irritation, and potentially lead to red blood cell damage and anaemia. If enough onions are consumed, a blood transfusion might be necessary. All forms of onion can be a problem, including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions, and table scraps containing cooked onions or garlic. That's one of the main reasons feeding your pet leftovers can cause illness. 

 Garlic is part of the onion family and it’s even more dangerous to dogs per ounce than onions. Garlic contains compounds that are strong in toxicity. So please treat your doggie like a vampire and keep them away from garlic as much as possible!



Do you want to share some guacamole with your dog? You better hold off on that. 

Avocado leaves, pits, bark and fruit contain a toxin called persin that can have toxic effects on dogs. They can cause upset stomach, fluid buildup in the chest, breathing difficulties, but the most dangerous thing for them seems to be the pit. Since it’s slippery, the pit can accidentally be swallowed by dogs, leading to obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract. 



The specific chemicals found in macadamia nuts hasn't been identified yet, but they are known to cause a toxic reaction to dogs if ingested. Within 12 hours of ingestion, macadamia nuts can cause dogs to experience tremors, weakness, depression, vomiting, and increased body temperature. These symptoms tend to last for approximately 12-48 hours. If you suspect your dog has consumed macadamia nuts, note the possible quantity consumed and contact your vet as soon as possible. 



Yes, you heard right, No Starbucks for your pup! Like chocolate, coffee contains a stimulant (Methylated Xanthine) that sits firmly inside the bracket of foods dogs can’t eat. Dogs are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people; within hours of consumption it can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and unfortunately even death, so keep your coffee and even your tea bags safely out of your dog's reach.  



No wild parties for Fido!

Alcohol is significantly more toxic to dogs than to humans. When consumed, even small quantities of alcoholic beverages and food products may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, blood changes, coma, and even death. So, remember to keep alcohol well out of your dog’s reach.

8. Apple Seeds and Core


The core of an apple contains cyanogenic glycosides, better known as cyanide.  When your dog munches on these seemingly harmless treats, he also ingests the toxin. Some of the symptoms of toxicity are apprehension, dilated pupils, salivation, struggling to breathe, dizziness, collapse, seizures, hyperventilation, shock, and coma.

Along with a few other fruits (plums, peaches, pears, and apricots) you should definitely be careful not to leave apple cores laying around for dogs to get their paws on.

9. Milk and Cheese


Just like humans, many dogs can also suffer from lactose intolerance. They do not have the required enzyme to break down milk sugar and will react with vomiting, diarrhea, and other indications of gastrointestinal distress. While it’s not immediately life-threatening, it can contribute to serious bacterial exposure in dogs that could eventually lead to disease.

Cheese is far too high in fat and can lead your dog to pancreatitis—inflammation of the pancreas, which can become deadly. Blue cheeses, such as stilton and roquefort, are particularly dangerous. Many contain a substance called roquefortine C, which dogs are especially sensitive to. Roquefortine C may cause vomiting and diarrhoea and potentially tremors, twitching, seizures, and high temperature if eaten in large doses. 

10. Uncooked Yeast Dough


The raw yeast dough from making bread can ferment in a dog’s stomach, producing alcohol which is toxic to your pet. Another reason is that the dough can also expand in your dog's stomach or intestines and produce an extremely large amount of gas. This can not only be painful for your doggie, but it may also cause a rupture in the stomach or intestines.  

Symptoms are vomiting, abdominal discomfort, lethargy, and lack of interest in anything.